What is Spirulina?
It is a blue green algae found in fresh water lakes which are grown on every continent.
Ever heard reggae artist Chronixx sing about Spirulina and wondered why? Chronixx-Spirulina
Vegans use this as an alternative to obtain their iron and protein. It has a higher protein content than a piece of steak. This is illustrated in the diagram below:
NOTE: By weight, spirulina is 60% Protein
NOTE: 1 Tablespoon of spirulina is 4 grams of protein.
It is very rich in,
- Minerals such as, Potassium, Calcium and Copper
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) which is used to digest fats and protein
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Benefits of Spirulina,
- Heavy Metal Detoxification
- It Increases the pH of the body, making it more alkaline
- High in Chlorophyll
- Immune Booster
- Protects Cell Damage
- Lowers Blood Sugar
- Helps With Allergies (Nasal congestion, itching and sneezing)
- Good Source Of GLA (Good fats) for Brain and Heart Health
- Manages Cholesterol
- Helps Fight Liver Disease and much more!
Forms Of Spirulina,
- Tincture (Liquid)
To be honest, I personally cannot tolerate the taste of it, so I use the capsules. It is a very acquired taste, therefore you can try it in smoothies 🙂 .
If you want to read more about this amazing protein packed superfood, click the links below.