Lately, I have been getting a lot of people coming into my workplace complaining about acid reflux and they are not too sure of what to do and how come they have it. Below we will discuss what acid reflux is and how we can solve this problem.
WHAT IS ACID REFLUX?
Acid reflux is acid moving upwards your oesophagus. This acid is called hydrochloric acid and it helps the break down of food when it passes through the oesophagus, the burning sensation you get in your chest is called heartburn.
Acid reflux occurs when you do not have enough of hydrochloric acid in your stomach not that it is an excess of acid. Doctor’s usually prescribe acid blocking drugs for this which is so wrong. You actually need to build back up the acid in your stomach.
You can also have acid reflux from having a hiatal hernia, which is the muscular wall separating the chest cavity from the abdomen. The oesophagus (food pipe) goes through the hiatus and attaches to the stomach. In a hiatal hernia the stomach bulges up into the chest through that opening.
Getting rid of acid reflux also has to do with your diet, what you eat and what time of the day you eat it.
Food&Things to avoid:
- Red meat
- Processed foods
- Refined sugars
- Acidic foods
- Spicy foods
- Fried and fatty foods
- Tomatoes and Citrus foods, which you can replace with lower acidic fruits like, banana, papaya and melon (You should avoid canned and prepackaged fruits because they are more acidic)
- Alcohol and Smoking
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Add 1 Tbsp in about 6-8 Fl Oz of water and drink twice a day
- Baking Soda – Just add 1 to 1.5 Tsp of baking soda in the Apple cider vinegar mix and drink quickly! 😉 OR you can add it to water with lemon and honey if the Apple Cider Vinegar is too much for you.
- Bananananananananana !! – High fiber fruit, which is good for digestion and also it soothes your stomach
- Pineapple – Pineapple contains an enzyme called, bromalien which helps the break down of proteins. It will also aid in digestion
- Fennel seeds – You can also drink fennel tea or use the liquid (tincture)
- Digestive enzymes
- Marshmallow root (See in photo) It is a natural demulcent meaning, it relieves inflammation or irritation. It comes in two forms, powder and liquid form
- Aloe Vera
- Chamomile Tea
- Licorice Root Tincture
The link below is from Dr.Mercola, someone who I personally follow and believe in
-Thank you for reading, xx